Thursday, August 23, 2018

Media Blog Week 9 Sound Recording, Music and Radio

Being a father of two 16 year old's and also a five year old, I find myself constantly trying to protect my youngest from the "corrupting influences" of the music that is listen to around him. I would love to say that the only people I need to worry about are the two 16 year old's and their music choices however, myself and my wife are constantly having to hit skip on our Pandora or iTunes  accounts when we are listening to music in the car or possibly through one the blue tooth speaker we own. I can say that the wife are a lot more vigilant and restrictive then many other parents that I know.

My youngest is like a sponge right now and like any five year old he looks up to his older siblings, he wants to emulate them. The tings that his older brother likes he likes as well, this includes music!!! I am sure that you can image the music that most 16 year old listen too. My oldest son particularly likes rap music. With the recent popularity of Drake, I now have a five year old that recites Gods Plan almost word for word... The verbiage of the song isn't nearly as bad as others that I have heard from my oldest but I still don't think it is appropriate from a five year old. There is one part that he really like the part when Drake says "I only love my bed and my mommy I'm sorry". Its makes me laugh, I know that I giving positive reinforcement when I laugh but its super hard not too.

Another example I can give this time involves my 16 year old daughter who is learning to play the guitar. Right now she is trying to learn Blink 182's I Miss You Its a really great song and one that she heard on my playlist but its a very sad song and has a lot of adult context. She has been playing the song over and over and now I have a five year old running around talking about the voices in side of his head. Its extremely hard to explain to a five year old why its not appropriate for him to go around sing such a song. It is also a challenge for me to try and manage this situation as I don't see a problem with my daughter listen too and playing such music. I feel conflicted.

I an one of those people that listen to all types of music, for me really depends on the mood that I am in or what I am doing. I like to listen to Metal when I am exercising, doing house work or just feel aggressive. An example of something I would listen too when feeling like this would be Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying some thing along those lines maybe some Pantera or Slayer if I am feeling a bit nostalgic. When I am in a kickback chill mood I like to listen to Sublime, Audio Slave, Rage Against the Machine. I also enjoy listening to a lot of late 90's Hip Hop and Rap. I really enjoy Wu Tang I can listen to them just about anytime, for me its really nice driving music when I am by myself. When I am feeling sentimental I will listen to a lot of 50's sock hop type music, it reminds of my dad and going with car shows with him when I was younger. You also might hear me listening to Toby Keith, Jonny Cash, Willey Nelson or Waylon Jennings. I like it all. 

I think that  an LBCC Radio Station would be fantastic and could have the potential to do really well. I think that as an idea its seem feasible, I know that a lot of other colleges have radio station and it works for them. I am not sure form  an administrative or finical perspective how feasible it would be. I can image that the initial investment would be substantial as I can image just the physical infrastructure would cost a ton, not to mention maintenance and other associated costs. I think that tuition is too high already soo if there would be another increase to fund I would have to say that I we can go without.

I think that for start up funds the students should look to alumni and the public for donations. In addition they should try some crowd sourcing, possibly a Go Fund Me. One other are that could be explored is Federal Grants. The student can also try to presell adds to local companies.  






No comments:

Post a Comment