Thursday, August 16, 2018

Media Blog Week 8 Banned Books and Magazines

Topic 1: Banned Books and Your Book Shelf.

While I was reading the directions for this assignment, before I looked at the ALA's  website I was thinking that there would not be many Books or Authors that I am very familiar with. This is because aside from assigned readings for school I haven't read a book for pleasure since I was deployed and that was back in 2004. This however was not the case. I actually new quite a few titles.

 I am shocked by Top Ten from 2015, particularly number 6. The Holy Bible. I cant believe it. No mention if the Quran though....

Apart from the Bible I have read some passages from Fifty Shades of Gray, My wife read the whole series and to appease her I read to see what all the hype was about, and also we cant forget, Happy Wife Happy Life. My take on the limited book was, its not for me but I could see how women would enjoy the book. After all I think the book was written specifically for women.

I have also read many of Captain Underpants books to all 3 of my kids. I don't think that there is anything in those books to justify being on the list but hey the bible was also on soo....Lets see others I have read, Brave New World, To Kill a Mocking Bird, Twilight (for/with wife), The Catcher and the Rye, Of Mice and Men, Scary Stories series, I loved these when I was a kid, I specifically remember Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I can still picture what the cover looks like in my head. In Fact, I repurchased this book a few years back so I could share this book with my children. They all loved it as well.

In my opinion I think that there is a difference between limiting access at school and at the public Library. I think that liming access at school and removing certain books from public curriculum should be left to the local school boards who should be a lot more familiar with the local constitutes views and beliefs and curriculum should reflect that. Smaller government at a local level. I think that all titles should be available in Public Library's. I personally don't think anyone has a right to tell me or anyone the information that we choose to consume, weather or not they agree with it themselves.

Some of the books that you would find on my bookshelf include. Tons of school books, I don't do the book buy back. I would rather keep them to refer to later. That should tell you something about me. One of my favorite Fiction books was an assigned reading from one of my perspective classes is Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. The series that I most enjoyed reading was the story of Mitch Rapp, he is the star of the best selling Author Vince Flynn. Its similar to Mission Impossible. I think my collection tells me that I am I focused and dedicated, educated with a sense of mystery and adventure.

The magazines that I truly enjoy are Life, Time,Concealed Carry and Conservative Review. Like my book shelf I think this speaks to who I am as a person. Life and Time magazine give me information and news so that I can remain in the know and deepen my understanding of current issues. Concealed Carry mag is just eye candy for me and brings me an escape and chance to fantasize. The ads in these magazines are tailored specifically for me, in fact I think that many other 30 something year-old veterans would have these magazines on there list. Lots of ads about ammo, home protection, vitamins, supplements, insurance, cars, prescription drugs. I think the advertisers are hitting the mark.


   






No comments:

Post a Comment